Thursday, August 29, 2013

Altered Mona Lisa

Halloween Mona Lisa

I've had fun in the past putting hats on Penny Black images, so when I was thinking about making a Halloween card yesterday I wondered who would like to dress up for Halloween.

Ms. Mona Lisa volunteered but I immediately saw a problem.  She was gifted with a VERY LONG neck!  If I were to put a witch's hat on her head, she would become too elongated to fit on a card, much less fit through a doorway to get to the Halloween party.  Travel in a car?  Impossible.  Not even a royal coach could accommodate the height!

An internet search led us to the Frankenstein Surgery Center where she underwent their increasingly popular "neckectomy" procedure.  Problem solved!!  As soon as the bandages were removed I presented  Ms. Mona with her very own witch's hat and snapped her picture as she gazed with curiosity at the bats who hovered nearby.


100_0085.JPG
Ms. Mona Lisa before surgery

Seriously, I used Penny Black's woodblock stamp Mona Lisa, stamping it and heat embossing it and colored with Copics.  I then cut her into three pieces (ouch!) snipped away excess neck and reassembled her into what you see here.  This took me several tries as my inky black fingers left smudges more than once!!  The bats were stamped with an ancient generic sponge stamp.  The hat is a Martha Stewart punch.

I had a great time and a few giggles as I altered Ms. Mona and put the card together.  Hope it brought a smile for you, too! 

I'm entering this card in the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge, Anything Goes.

Hard to believe Labor Day weekend is upon us!!  Where did Summer go?  We are looking forward to the cooler, crisper days of Fall.  Thank you for your visit today!!  Enjoy your weekend.

11 comments:

Barb said...

Thanks for the giggle this morning, Judy! Such a cute idea to shorten her neck and add the hat! (I think she looks better your way!) Fun card! :)

Rosemary said...

love how you altered ms. mona, judy!! what a fun card!

Laura Sterckx said...

Such a fun card! I love how you used the image stamp! That's so creative! :) Thanks for sharing! I love it!

Thank you so much for joining us at the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge Blog!
Laura

rcwidow (Linda) said...

This is the cutest! Love your post too! Your pp is amazing!

Sally said...

You have such a great imagination, Judy! Love your storytelling as much as I love this card! Mona Lisa looks great in her witch's outfit checking out the bats! Hugs...

Heidi Brawley said...

Love your card. Its very creative and cute!!! Fabulous work!!!

Jean said...

Aren't you clever? And funny, too! What an adorable and creative card.

Dawn T said...

just had to come and see how you did this Judy after seeing your card on FB,... Such a creative idea. The hat is such a great size

mimijudy1975 said...


Judy,I love your sense of humor and your vivid imagination. i smile or giggle so often when reading your blog. That is a unique stamp,I don't think I've seen it before. Mona Lisa is going to have a great time on Halloween as well as the recipient of your card.

Greta said...

You are just amazing, Judy! How wonderfully creative & such a fun post!

Penny Ward said...

How stinkin' cute is this? Your description of making the card is almost as fun as the card itself. You always make me laugh!