Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Lost and Found: A Happy Ending

Don't you just love stories with a happy ending?? Especially when it is your own story and you experience the happy ending!!

About two months ago I realized I could not find my engagement or anniversary ring! It is not unusual for me to take them off, as I work in a daycare and have to pull latex gloves on and off all day; the rings get in the way. I have several little jewelry boxes on my dresser where I usually put my rings when I am not wearing them.

Well, one day I went to retrieve my rings from their usual safe storage and could not find them! My heart skipped a few beats, I calmed mylself down and told myself they have to be here somewhere! After a week or two of unsuccessful frantic searching, I told my husband that I feared I had thrown away my rings. I remembered one night in bed that the prong on one of the rings was catching on the blanket, so I removed them and put them on the night stand. I was dealing with a miserable cold and lots of used Kleenex. I assumed I had tossed the rings in the trash along with the used Kleenex. There was the possibility that I had taken the rings off in the car before I went into the daycare, but I also had used Kleenex there that I had cleaned out and that could have been when I threw the rings away.

I grieved for my rings! What made it all worse is that I had had my engagement diamond reset along with my mother's diamond, and now it meant her stone was gone, too.

Well, my Christmas present this year was a new set of rings! Larry and I picked out a lovely solitaire, with ring guards and ordered them in yellow gold, to be picked up at the end of December. My husband was a real sweetheart about the process of selecting new rings! He wanted to be sure I was happy with my selection!

Yesterday, a bright and sunny day, we were leaving to make the trip to Nashville, 100 miles away, to meet my son and his family for lunch. They were on their way home to Michigan from a visit to Atlanta for Christmas, and would be passing through Nashville. It was worth a 100 mile trip to hug the grand kids and visit for an hour with my son and his wife. As we prepared to leave the driveway, I asked my husband if he had his sunglasses. He said no, but he keeps a pair of clip ons in the car we were driving. He clicked on the overhead sunglasses container, and calmly and quietly and unemotionally announced, "Judy, I found your rings." There they were, in the sunglass container where I had put them for safekeeping before I went into work!! Of course, then I remembered having done it!! It was sureal to have the rings in my hands again!

Since my new rings have not yet arrived at the jewelry store, we probably had the option of canceling the order. But smart man that my husband is, he told me he wanted me to have the new rings anyway. When we bought my first ring, we were very busy raising children and establishing our new blended families. He said I deserved an upgrade!!

So, that's the ring story with a very happy ending!! 100_1892

22 comments:

Vanessa said...

I am so happy for you that your ring story had a happy ending! And that your husband is such a sweetie!

Hugs,
Vanessa

Lysa said...

What a wonderful ending to your story Judi! I am so glad to hear that you found your treasured rings (& that you get to keep your new bling too!) ;)

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family & have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anita Rex said...

Oh Judy I am so happy that you found your rings! It's awesome that you got a new one but even better to find the orginal! How funny that once you found it you remembered putting it there! SO happy for you!

Kathy (krolski) said...

What a great story Judy! I'm so glad you found them! Your rings are beautiful. I would be devastated if I lost my rings.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

donna mikasa said...

Yay for happy endings! And Larry is right...you deserve an upgrade!

CinnamonSally said...

What a great story with a happy ending, so happy that you found your rings, I know I would be heartbroken to loose mine!

Suzanne C said...

Oh so glad you found your rings and you also are getting new ones. You just need one more for your 5 golden rings for christmas. :)

Lin said...

I can imagine that sinking feeling when you thought you'd lost your rings......your hubby is a KEEPER!! Thanks for sharing your happy ending!!

Dawn T said...

Judy - what a lovely story. thanks for sharing. What a wonderful man you have!!! all good stories deserve a happy ending... Take care

ivy said...

so glad there was a happy ending!! glad you got an upgrade too!

Nancy said...

Thank you for sharing your story Judy...I've been there and know that feeling of loss and frustration. I'm so glad your rings were found, what a relief it must be to have your mom's diamond back again! What a wonderful guy you have too, he has extraordinary wisdom.
Love your festive blog trimmings, Judy, may you enjoy your heart's desire in the new year!

DustyPenny (Joy Ott) said...

So happy for you, Judy!

Alice said...

this warms my heart, Judy! so happy that your got your precious rings back! and love the new festive look on your blog!!

Unknown said...

So glad your story has such a happy ending Judy. Wedding and engagement rings have such sentimental value that can never be replaced,and with your mother's diamond even more so. Nice to have two sets of rings now too!

Heather Maria

Jane said...

Great story and I'm so happy you found them!! And what a romantic husband you have....my husband would have brought back those rings that minute!! lol

Kathy said...

What a great story and a sweet husband!!!! So happy you found them for the sentimental reasons...and love your new rings!!!!! So cool you are still so in love with your hubby!!! So happy for you Judy you are one special lady. Hugs,Kathy

Kath Stewart said...

what a wonderful story...so glad you found your old but sentimental rings....wishing you and yours a wonderful 2010....happy new year...hugs kath xxxxx

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!! Youa re so worth an upgrade!

Karen from MI said...

Oh Judy, SO SWEET and such a TENDER story! I couldn't be HAPPIER that you found them and I'm sure that Larry is, too. Maybe your new set could be for "work" and your original for "fine" jewelry occasions (not that your new set doesn't meet the "fine" jewelry category, just with the sentimental attachment of your Mom's diamond you could be "extra protective" of it. Anyway, I'm just HAPPY that you've got it back. I must say that I LOVED your photo of your rings. They are GORGEOUS!! HAPPY NEW YEAR. May you be blessed with a SMILE FILLED and HEALTHY year! Lots of Love, Karen xoox

Lin said...

Good morning, Judy - I've passed on some blog awards to you, take your pick. Hugs!

Virginia L. said...

True happpy ending!!! I had a similar episode just before I got marrried. I thought I had lost my engagement ring at the future in-laws during the dish-washing and that the ring fell into the pipe! We called in the plumber and had him checked out everything..then found the ring in the corner of the kitchen!! I'm still married and the in-laws still love me :) What a SWEETIE your DH is!! Got to love a man like that !!

Diana said...

Happy ending indeed. Thanks for sharing Judy. Project 365 going on over at my blog. Check it out!